Low Self-Esteem: A Demon in Your Personality
“Finding new spirit – the vitality, meaning and color that restores life”
Self-esteem can be defined in many ways…
- A feeling of having respect for yourself and your abilities
- How you value yourself
- Belief and confidence in your own ability and innate worth
- A collection of your individual attitudes toward yourself
- The cognitive and emotional appraisal of your own worth
- Self-esteem is a framework through which we use all six functions of our personality.
- Self-esteem reflects and determines our relation to ourselves, to others, and to the world.
- Self-esteem bears many benefits:
- Your ability to take risks.
- To endure failure without personal damage.
- Self-esteem breeds a cheerfulness, humility and quiet action.
Low self-esteem can damage us, making us feel insecure where we suffer in silence. Persons burdened with low self-esteem can see the world as hostile and themselves as victims. Sufferers can
Frantically pursue a worldly agenda in search of security and sometimes miss what is truly important, their own internal growth and that of others. Such a posture may lead to a spiritual sloth where one does not engage in virtuous activity; wasting time and energy on useless things and pursuits.
Ways to Raise One’s Self-Esteem
- Prayer implicitly raises self-esteem.
- Learning to love yourself as a less than perfect human being… which of course we truly are.
- Embracing your True Self.
- Living up to your dreams.
- Standing up for your own values.
- Living up to your own ideals.
In ways both direct and indirect the SSP addresses all six of these self-esteem enhancers.
The SS Healing Plan...
- Identifies what is most real, what is most “you” about you – your six signature spiritual strengths.
- Clearly shows you potentially toxic self-beliefs, self-perception, self-thoughts, feelings, choices and actions that may be “keeping you down”.
- Offers you new information about yourself and new tools about current topics in behavioral medicine that can lift your self-esteem.
- Helps you open the windows of your soul to God’s grace in an entirely new way.
- Cleanses your perception of yourself so you can better see the special and unique truth, beauty and goodness you are made of.
“Your self-esteem needs to reflect the truth, beauty and goodness that is the ‘true you’.”
Dr. R. P. Johnson